Arizona Helping Hands
On a toasty July day, PlanetOne’s From the Heart team headed over to Arizona Helping Hands and donated their time putting together 96 back-to-school backpacks and 75 first aid kits. Learning about the plight of so many neglected children in the community was very emotional and knowing that these children would have new backpacks for the school year was a small but hopeful contribution.
Arizona Helping Hands is the largest provider of essential needs for children in foster care in the state. As long as children are abused and neglected, and as long as drug and alcohol addictions riddle our society, there will be a need for foster care.
The mission of Arizona Helping Hands is to provide basic needs for children in foster care… and so much more!
- Twin bed set: New box spring, mattress, frame, mattress protector, set of sheets, pillow, and blanket.
- Crib: Mattress, crib, two crib sheets, quilt.
- Diapers and wipes: Provided through donation drives and special events.
- Dream Kit: Hygiene items including toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, brush, shampoo, etc.
- New and gently used children’s clothing: The only non-new item that provided.
- Safety equipment: To pass the state-mandated home inspection for licensed foster care homes, including fire extinguisher and customized first aid kit.
Arizona Helping Hands began when co-founder, Kathy Donaldson, made a promise to her dying sister to “do one good deed a day and don’t take credit for it.” From those early days of holiday toy drives, they have continued to meet the needs of children in the community. The organization has served tens of thousands of children over the last 20+ years and continues to grow every year with the focus being on helping children in foster care.
For more information or to donate please visit www.azhelpinghands.org
A big thanks to Derek, Jen, Renee, Ross, Shawna, Suzanne and Taylor for your help.