By: Bill Wohnoutka, Vice President Sales, Security & CDN at Level 3 Communications
The perimeter of the conventional IP/VPN MPLS WAN has eroded. We can no longer expect that #buildthatwall is a viable strategy for securing enterprise assets and the users that need constant access.
The migration of applications from the corporate data center into the cloud eludes traditional IP/VPN and dual data center-perimeter based security measures. And increasing use of unsecured broadband and mobile devices by remote and mobile workers, coupled with the enterprise mandate to use lower-cost, high speed broadband alternatives to traditional local access solutions in branch offices, will accelerate the need for a new, more flexible security perimeter that can protect users, regardless of how and where they demand access to enterprise applications and assets.
Some experts believe cloud platforms and open access initiatives are forcing a paradigm shift predicated on creating a new security perimeter, one responsive to the evolving enterprise security needs. To be effective, the go-forward solution should:
- Be device agnostic, meaning it should work on all devices regardless of network access.
- Be network agnostic, protecting all methods of access including mobile, MPLS and broadband internet.
- Be capable of enhancing application performance, rather than creating data-flow bottle-necks and detracting from application performance.
- Allow for customization of user policies based on users and group roles.
- Support all common next-generation firewall capabilities (IPS/IDS, Web Proxy, Malware Detection and Sandboxing and Data Loss Protection).
- Support access to a thoughtfully segmented network.
- Integrate with existing enterprise platforms, such as directory services, security information and event management platforms.
Employing a solution that could protect thousands of employees–and their devices and confidential data–while meeting changing enterprise needs can help solve for the most obvious use case: extending security policies to an increasingly hybrid WAN and hybrid cloud environment. This solution would be an additive perimeter to the existing security perimeters deployed in the enterprise, and in essence provide a “multi-tool” for IT networking and security professionals to extend a security perimeter further away from critical enterprise assets.
In fact, a solution that could meet the guidelines outlined above would spawn multiple permutations of use cases which have not yet been contemplated in this blog… we invite comments.
Bill Wohnoutka is currently Vice President of the Security Solutions Team at Level 3. In this role he leads the North American Region product subject matter experts who support Level 3’s account teams and customers to achieve best practices in the design and implementation of internet security solutions.
Over the past 18 years, Bill has held various leadership roles in Level 3’s sales and marketing organizations. Bill is an accomplished public speaker and industry thought leader, with vertical specializations in the Media & Entertainment, Social Networking, Online Gaming and Healthcare vertical markets. Bill has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Technical and Professional Writing from San Francisco State University.